Lilypie First Birthday tickers First

Tuesday, October 6, 2009


Last week was not particularly cheerful for us. After hearing that our little guy was measuring a month behind, I had a less than optimal dr's appt....
Last Tuesday I had the appt. with my neurologist. If you look down a few posts, I explained why I had to go. Well, his "medical recommendation" was ..... deep breath....., c section.

I was absolutely devastated. We've done all the right things! We planned this pregnancy, we took the classes, we read the books, we planned our ideal "delivery",... it was a HUGE blow. After having some time to let it sink in (and having a moajor cry session in my WONDERFUL husband's arms), I am happy to say that I'm feeling much better about the possibility. I know many of you are probably thinking, "C-section? Big deal! People have them everyday!".

This is true, but I suppose I felt like I was having my birth experience overhauled, I was scared of the actual surgery itself, not being mobile, not being able to hold my little guy or be all 'with it' for his birth, breastfeeding difficulties, complications with the surgery, having to PICK our babies birthday instead of letting nature take it's course, etc. etc etc. The list goes on. After having a week to stew on it, I am feeling much much better.

With that said- I still have to talk to my ob's office and see if they will go along with this recommendation or allow me to make the decision on my own. If they insist that we will be going along with the neurologist's recommendation, I am fully prepared to get a second opinion, as I am leary of his recom. and his overall diagnosis. The neurologist's reason for the c-section is that pushing, "may possibly cause me to retrigger symptoms I had in the past".- ie: headaches. Not only is this not enough reason to justify getting sliced open (in my opinion) but I am not convinced he's accurate with his diagnosis, which is why I un-medicated myself to begin with.

I am fully prepared- either way- for the decisions to be made and will have peace regardless. I only want what is BEST for both my son and myself and wouldn't think about jeopardizing either of our health. I do, however, want to make sure that whichever conclusion is reached, it is done so thoroughly and with purpose. I'd hate to have the surgery simply based on a misguided recommendation. I will absolutely keep you posted as to what the outcome is or will be.

In other IMPORTANT baby news ;) We get to see our little guy tomorrow which we are SO excited about! I can't believe it's been 17ish weeks or so since we've seen him and I'm sure he's changed and grown so much. We are having our growth ultrasound to be sure that he is measuring and growing properly, considering his fundal measurements were off my 4 weeks at our last appt. I am very anxious but am so thankful for all of the prayers we've received and feel sure that God has his hand on my precious baby! I know he is going to be just perfect. After the ultrasound, we will have our 33 week appt. and I'll also get a chance to go over the neurologists' recommendation. I will post more in the next few days about the outcome of all of it! I know this was long- but those are the latest updates =) Thanks for reading!!


  1. Good luck hun! I ended up needing a c-section and felt like I was cheated out of delivering at first but it turned out to be a really great experience. If you have any questions at all or need anything please let me know. I'm hope everything goes well for you tomorrow---best of luck! :)